Electric scooters have been around since 1996. But they’ve just recently seen a massive uptick in popularity and public interest, especially in larger American cities and on college campuses. This is in part thanks to the growing number of eScooter rental companies, like Bird, Lime and, more recently announced, Uber. With so many rental scooters hitting the market, more and more people are considering making a purchase of their own. And they’re asking one simple question: are electric scooters worth it?
Answering this question is extremely subjective. Determining the value of something is a process as unique as you are. Something that's worth it to your neighbor or a family member might not worth it to you.
But to help you determine the value of owning an electric scooter, we can explore the costs to and benefits of ownership. At the end of this exploration, you should have enough information to determine for yourself if owning an electric scooter is worth it.
Top 10 Benefits to Owning an Electric Scooter
Owning an electric scooter isn’t all about costs. There are plenty of benefits to go along with ownership. Here are the top ten benefits you’ll reap by purchasing an electric scooter.
(Honestly, there are way more than 10 benefits – but we could be here for hours talking about them!)
- Easy assembly. An electric scooter is easy to assemble. Most models can be assembled in as little as ten minutes – especially the foldable models. Just unfold, attach the handle grips, charge up the battery and go.
- They’re fun. Don’t you want to feel like a kid again? Owning an eScooter is one way to relive the good ol’ days of riding in the open air, with the wind blowing through your hair. We all deserve a bit of fun now and then, right?
- Easy to park. Most electric scooters are small and lightweight enough to fit in your office, in a school locker or in a grocery cart. But if you absolutely need to park your electric scooter, you have plenty of options. Bike racks are virtually everywhere, and many bike locks can be used to secure your scooter.
- Saves you time. Because a scooter is small and easy to operate, you can more easily navigate through traffic congestion. You’ll get where you’re going quicker and, dare we say, better.
- License requirements: Because of their limited speed, many cities do not require you to have a license. Before you ride, ensure that you become familiar with your local electric scooter regulations. Visit our article, Are Electric Scooters Legal?, for more information.
- Easily portable. An electric scooter is usually lightweight enough to carry with you on the bus, train or subway. And some, like our Swagger 5 commuter scooters, can be easily folded so that you can store them in compact spaces.
- Environment friendly. Because they are electric, an electric scooter doesn’t emit CO2 into the atmosphere. The less CO2, the better
- Cost of maintenance: Maintaining an electric scooter is less expensive than owning a motorcycle or car. Our Swagger 5 features a revolutionary airless honeycomb-style rear tire that helps you say goodbye to flat tires.
- They’re electric. No seriously, this is a huge advantage. Electric scooters are cheaper to operate when compared to traditional fuel-based scooters and bikes. Instead of hopping in your car for short trips and quick errands, hop on your electric scooter.
They are affordable. An electric scooter certainly costs far less than a motorcycle or a car. You can have a high-end scooter for just a few hundred dollars. Some manufactures, MACWHEEL® included, have invested heavily in lowering manufacturing costs while raising quality.
Those savings are passed on to the you.
So Are Electric Scooters Worth It?
We say, Yes!
Let's face it, an electric scooter is an exciting personal transportation vehicle that has captured the imaginations of urban commuters and campus cruisers the world over. And it's easy to see why. They're a fun, eco-friendly way to get around. Improvements in battery technology have made them more affordable and lighter than ever before, andMacwheel is at the forefront of combining innovative design and industry-leading features with family-friendly pricing.
Whether you're using an eScooter as a last-mile solution or just to explore more of your world, there's an electric scooter out there with your name on it.
Last Update:July 13, 2019